Game of Thrones prequel is in the making
After eight thrilling seasons, the watch finally ended as Game of Thrones took its bow last night. We’ve reached the end of Game of Thrones, ending an eight-year saga spanning seven kingdoms, three dragons, and too many stabbings and beheadings to count.
A Game of Thrones prequel series has finally been confirmed by HBO. HBO has already ordered a Game of Thrones prequel set long before the current story ever began. The prequel is in the works. There’s been a lot of speculation about the prequel to Game of Thrones but here’s what you need to know about the planned Game of Thrones prequel, and four other possible spin-offs.
The prequel is set to take place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend.
- Naomi Watts was cast in a lead role for the prequel series and plays a charismatic socialite with a dark secret. The rest of the cast includes:
- Miranda Richardson (played journalist Rita Skeeter in Harry Potter)
- Marquis Rodriquez (Manifest)
- John Simm (The Master on Doctor Who)
- Richard McCabe (Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams)
- John Heffernan (Dracula)
- Dixie Egerickx (Summerland)
- Josh Whitehouse (Poldark)
- Naomi Ackie (Lady Macbeth)
- Denise Gough (Monday)
- Jamie Campbell Bower (the young Gellert Grindelwald in the first
- Deathly Hallows and Fantastic Beasts)
- Sheila Atim (Harlots)
- Ivanno Jeremiah (Humans)
- Georgie Henley (Lucy from The Chronicles of Narnia)
- Alex Sharp (How to Talk to Girls at Parties)
- Toby Regbo (The Last Kingdom, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald).
Theme: The prequel will be set around 5,000 years before events in Game of Thrones. According to HBO the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: it’s not the story we think we know. The Age of Heroes refers to the period of time when the Children of the Forest made a pact with the First Men, which brought about peace.
Game of Thrones Prequel Title: There’s no official title yet but according to some reports it’s being referred to as Bloodmoon by those working on the set in Belfast. George RR Martin, the author and creator of Game of Thrones, is said to have previously referred to the pilot as The Long Night. He had to backtrack and state that the show is still untitled, because The Long Night was the name of episode three in season eight of Game of Thrones, when the Night King rocked up at Westeros.
Time and Date of Release: HBO’s Casey Bloys said: “there’s no timetable”, adding: “If we do a pilot and series, nothing is going to air on HBO until at least a year after the final season.”
So that means May 2020 at the earliest.